You Can't Beat Our Holiday Meats
We know that the centerpiece of the holiday table isn't meat for everyone- for all you veggies out there, check out this awesome collection of holiday vegetarian recipes for your holiday table.
For the meat-eaters, here at Greenling we are incredibly passionate about the importance of sourcing quality local and organic meats. The difference between conventionally raised meat and humanely-treated, grass fed and free-range meats is palpable. Non-stressful conditions for the animals, no hormones or antibiotics make such a huge difference when it comes to the quality and taste of your meat.
Check out the special holiday meat cuts we have to deliver to your doorstep this holiday season:
Standing Rib Roast from Richardson Farms
We only carry this special cut of local, grass-fed beef during the holidays. Commonly called “prime rib,” standing rib roast is one of the easiest special event foods to prepare at home since all you need is a roasting pan, salt and pepper. Each rib will feed about two people, so a roast with 4-5 ribs is just right for a large, seated dinner party. The pan juices from a standing rib roast are perfect for making Yorkshire pudding, au jus, or beef gravy for mashed potatoes. Richardson Farms beef is grass-fed and free-ranged in Rockdale, Texas.
Organic Hardwood Smoked Ham (Boneless Half)
This holiday party favorite is a quick and easy way to feed a crowd, since the ham arrives fully cooked and can be served cold or heated through. Organic Prairie hams come from humanely raised, heirloom breed hogs that free-range in the fresh air and sunshine. Each ham is marinated in celery juice, sea salt, and an elixir of honey and spices, then hardwood smoked in a traditional smokehouse that has been owned by the same family for five generations. For entertaining, each pound of ham will serve 4-5 adults.
Whole Organic Turkey
A succulent roast turkey makes the perfect centerpiece for a holiday feast, and it’s also the most cost-effective way to feed a large party. A 15-pound turkey will easily feed 20 dinner guests, and you can pair it with non-traditional side dishes and desserts to keep the menu fresh. Organic Valley’s plump, juicy turkeys are raised with 100% organic feed and the freedom to range in the out-of-doors, free of antibiotics, synthetic hormones, and pesticides.
Celebrate Eat Drink Local Week!
Join us in celebrating the 5th Annual Edible Austin Eat Drink Local Week, celebrating local food and raising money for Urban Roots and Sustainable Food Center, for the week of Dec 3-10.
Greenling will donate 5% of all Local Box sales that week - it's a great time to try it out if you haven't yet! You'll get a box full of yummy local veggies, chosen based on what's freshest and in season that week, and support awesome local food organizations at the same time!
This Week's Box Contents & Local Items
So far we haven't heard from any of our farmers that the freeze earlier this week was detrimental to crops. It's a very exciting time of the year - greens season! The upcoming week's local box is full of leafy, nutrient packed greens from a variety of local farms, and we are over the moon about it.
The fall tomato crop is looking amazing this year, only occasionally are we able to get such an abundance of juicy local tomatoes in the fall.
Here's what will be available from local farms on our website this week (the best selection of local produce in the state - guaranteed). Items with a (*) are only available in the Local Box:
In Local Boxes ($34.99) this week (Dec 5 - 9):
- Pears - Lightsey Farm
- Apples - Top of Texas
- Beets - My Father's Farm
- Cilantro - My Father's Farm
- Turnip Greens - Fruitful Hill Farm
- Grapefruit - G&S Grove
- Tomatoes - Engel Farm
- Loose Spinach - Tecolote Farm
- Baby Bok Choy - Gundermann Acres
- Sweet Potato - Gundermann Acres
Suggested recipes for all items will be included with the Local Box
Last Week's (Nov 28 - Dec 2) Local Box Video:
In Farmstead Boxes this week:*
- Sweet Potato Pancake Mix - Homestead Gristmill
- Artisan Cheese (assorted) - Brazos Valley
- Ciabatta Rolls - Sweetish Hill Bakery
*please note we are not able to make substitutions in the Farmstead Boxes! Thanks for understanding
Fresh, Prepared Meal Selection for this week:
Dish #1 - Coconut Sweet Potato Curry (1 pint - serves 1 for lunch)
Organic sweet potatoes, peppers & eggplant, slowly simmered in coconut milk and served over fragrant basmati rice. Freezes well.
Ingredients: organic sweet potatoes, organic onion, organic sweet peppers, organic eggplant, organic carrots, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, clarified butter, spices, herbs, salt, pepper
Dish #2 - Chicken Noodle Soup (1 pint)
We're doing this classic up right! It all starts with the broth, made from our own delicious chicken stock with Dewberry Farm's chicken. Add onions, celery & sweet carrots, tender egg noodles and lots of fresh parsley & thyme and you've got one respectable soup for the beginning of winter.
Ingredients: chicken, chicken stock, organic onion, organic carrot, celery, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, organic herbs, spices, salt, pepper
Fresh Pasta of the Week:
Produce from Local Farms
- Arugula, Tecolote, Animal Farm
- Basil, Live- Bella Verdi
- Baby Arugula – Animal Farm
- Beans, Pinto - Gundermann Acres
- Beets - 5 Mile Farm, My Father's Farm
- Bok Choy - Comanche Oaks, Gundermann, Simmons Family Farm
- Broccoli - Animal Farm, Comanche Oak
- Cabbage - Comanche Oak
- Cabbage, Green - Engel Farm
- Carrots - Simmons Family Farm
- Chard, Swiss - Simmons Family Farm, Comanche Oaks
- Chives, Garlic - Tecolote Farm
- Cilantro - Simmons Family Farm, My Father's Farm
- Collard Greens - Gundermann Acres
- Garlic, German Red - Tecolote Farm
- Green Beans - J&B Farm
- Herbs - Pure Luck
- Kale - Comanche Oak, Gundermann
- Lettuce, Baby - Tecolote Farm
& My Father's Farm
- Lettuce, Bibb – Bella Verdi
- Lettuce, Mixed - Austin Organics
- Lettuce, Red Leaf - Fruitful Hill Farm
- Lettuce, Salad Trio - Austin Organics
- Microgreens - Bella Verdi
Produce from Local Farms
- Mushroom, Crimini- Kitchen Pride
- Mushroom, Shiitake- TX Organic Mushrooms
- Mushroom, Port caps- Kitchen Pride
- Mushroom, White- Kitchen Pride
- Mustard Greens - Gundermann
- Onion, Green - Green Gate, Simmons Family Farm
- Onion, Sweet Yellow - Engel Farm
- Parsley, Italian Flat-Leaf - Tecolote Farm
- Peppers, Assorted - Comanche Oak, River End Oaks
- Peppers, Bell - Comanche Oak
- Peppers, Cayenne - Comanche Oak
- Peppers, Jalapeno - Comanche Oak
- Potatoes, Sweet - Gundermann Acres
- Radish, Red - Tecolote, Simmons Family Farm
- Radish, Watermelon - Fruitful Hill Farm
- Shallots, Green - Fruitful Hill
- Spinach - Tecolote Farm, Simmons Family Farm, Green Gate
- Sprouts, All - Groovy Greens
- Squash, Acorn - Gundermann, Engel Farm
- Squash, Butternut - Gundermann, Engel Farm
- Squash, Spaghetti - Gundermann Acres
- Tomatoes, Cherry Heirloom - Engel Farm
- Tomatoes, Green - Engel Farm
- Tomatoes, Slicing - Walnut Creek, Engel
- Turnip, Japanese - Tecolote Farm
- Turnips- River End Oaks
- Apples - Top of Texas
- Figs - Gundermann Acres
- Grapefruit - G&S Groves
- Limes - G&S Groves
- Meyer Lemons - G&S Groves
- Oranges - G&S Groves
- Pears - Lightsey Farm
- Tangerines - Orange Blossom
- Watermelon (large) - Gundermann
Events & Local Food Happenings Around Town
Holiday Tamale Workshop - hosted by Sustainable Food Center
-Sat, Dec 2, 10am-1pm
- Worker's Defense Project, 5604 Manor Rd, 78723 [Austin]
Have you always wanted to learn how to make authentic tamales? Learn to make tamales from the masters, Amparo Domínguez and María Arias, using olive oil, homemade broth and local, seasonal ingredients from the SFC Farmers' Market.
You'll go home with a dozen delicious tamales (vegetarian or chicken) and the skills to make more! We'll also make a variety of fresh salsas and atole, a traditional Mexican masa-based hot drink.
The cost is $55 per person, and all proceeds will be used to fund the Sustainable Food Center’s cooking classes in communities in need.
Urban Farm Bicycle Tour -
Eat Drink Local Week Event
-Sat. Dec. 3, starting at 9am
-$30 (kids under 16 free)
-Various starting points [Austin]
Discover some of Austin's local food-producing gems on a family-friendly bicycle tour, including optional stops at more than nine urban farms, school and community gardens and more—featuring farm tours, sampling chef-prepared local food products and a chance to win fabulous prizes, including a Trek commuter bike.
Make to stop by Urban Roots and say hi to Greenling! Urban Roots farm is a must see, plus we'll have delicious samples to fuel your pedaling power.
Tour departs from three locations: Bicycle Sport Shop (South Lamar location) at 9 am, SFC Farmers' Market downtown at 10 am and the Triangle 9 am. Check the Edible Austin website on specific start times and locations and packet pickup information.
Buy your tickets now!
Local Holiday Gift Fair presented by Better Bites of Austin
-Wed., Dec 7th, 4pm - 9pm
-The Domain II 11410 Century Oaks Terrace, 78759 [Austin]
Shop, stroll and peruse the holiday wares from local food and beverage artisan. Get inspiration for your shopping list, buy locally made treats on site and sample all along they way!
More info and full list of participants here
Beet, Apple & Cheddar Tarts
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and cut into six 4 1/2-inch rounds
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar (3 ounces)
- 1 small apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 small beet, scrubbed, peeled, and very thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pastry rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork.
Divide half the cheese among pastry rounds. Top each with 2 to 3 apple slices. Tuck 2 to 3 beet slices among apple slices and top with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme.
Bake until pastry is golden brown and slightly puffed, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For More Recipes Check Out:
Eating Out of the Local Box - Menus designed specifically for the local box and ideas on what to do with the wonderful bounty
Vegan Greenling - More recipes for the local box, but all Vegan!
Greenling Facebook - All sorts of recipes and ideas get posted here
Mylie's Kitchen - Real Food. Good for you and the planet.
Psst....Thanks For Telling Your Friends
Remember you can always share the love of Greenling and get free food for doing it. Just download this coupon to give to others and type in your personalized coupon code - first 3 letters of your first and last name and the first 3 numbers of your address (add zeros if you just have 1 or 2 numbers) - where it says 'Go with Greenling and save!', print it and hand it out to your friends and co-workers. You get 10% off your next order after they've joined. They get 10% off, too, by entering your coupon code when they order.