Greenling helps take the hard work out of cooking at home with our recipe kits! With recipes developed closely with Kim Love, our new Love Cleanse Compliant kits arrive with all ingredients washed, chopped, and portioned, and include an easy-to-follow recipe. You’ll have a tasty cleanse-compliant dinner ready in minutes, with very little hands-on time required! All kits are designed to serve two people for dinner, or if you’re cleansing on your own, the extra serving works well as leftovers for lunch:
Are you ready to live your happiest, healthiest life? And have some fun doing it? Greenling is partnering with health guru Kim Love for her legendary Love Cleanse! We know first-hand that her food-based, guided cleanse can help clear up stress and trigger weight loss; many our team members have completed the Love Cleanse with fantastic results. Like Kim,we also believe that choosing sustainable, clean foods, is the best way to make the most of your cleanse and establish healthy habits for life-long nutrition!
Kim’s guided, group cleanse is geared towards Greenling customers with personalized coaching, nutrition tracking, and even some special events. Check out her website to sign up, or to schedule a call to get more information. Kim is offering a discount to folks who cleanse together– when 2+ people sign up together, she’ll take $15 off each. Lots of our customers and staff are already on the board, and we can’t wait to help make everyone’s cleanse experience as smooth and easy as possible. We have tons of options for those on The Love Cleanse – and best of all, we offer easy online ordering and FREE home delivery! Everything at Greenling is local and sustainably produced and/or certified organic, so you know you’ll be nurturing your body with the best food on the planet as you embark on The Love Cleanse.
Introducing, Leigh Von Runnen, AKA The Curd Nerd! This cheese queen is Greenling’s Local Buyer for Central Texas, meaning she is responsible for making sure our warehouse is full of fraiche, delicious produce and groceries!
The Curd Nerd hails from a little whey outside of D.C. where she got a start slinging cheese. She loves the Beatles, especially the song Let It Brie, and her favorite book is Rind and Punishment. We might Havarti told you told you about her passion for cheese, but she also has soft spot for good whiskeys and thunderstorms.
Leigh moved to Austin only three months ago to start working at Greenling, hoping to build a cheddar food system. She loves working as the Buyer because she gets to meet legen-dairy local farmers and artisanal producers and share their great product with all of ewe! We are so grateful to have added such a gouda lady to the Greenling team! We apologize if anyone found this a little too cheesy, but come on, how could we not!
Finca Pura Vida, located just east of Bastrop, translates to Pure Farm Life. We can’t think of a better way to describe this magical land. Edgar and Gayla live on the farm with their two-year old daughter, Lilliana along with cows, roosters (heritage ones too!), chickens, turkeys, pigs and quite a few dogs and cats.
The family farms 12 of their 48 acres in Fayetteville, growing everything from broccoli to dill to Edgar’s family heirloom squash, the ayote. Edgar brought ayote seeds with him from Costa Rica, his native country, 12 years ago when he and Gayla moved back to the States. The squash can be harvested as both a summer and a winter squash, growing to the size of a watermelon or bigger! Edgar and his family still own many acres in Costa Rica lined with mango trees and other tropical fruits and veggies.
Edgar harvesting daikon
Edgar tends to the crops by himself majority of the time, hiring help only at high harvesting times. It is why other farmers speak of him as a man who can do the work of 200 men. At Finca Pura Vida, they grow their food using all sustainable practices, including black strap molasses to keep their soil rich with nutrients. They see their farm as “beyond organic” and work to keep the ecosystem balanced, always giving more than they take.
We are very grateful to have Finca Pura Vida providing us with delicious sustainable produce like the heirloom broccoli pictured above. Look for their produce in your next Local Box!
Photo Courtesy of Blisstree.com
If your New Year’s resolutions are to get healthy, exercise, or eat better, lettuce support you by bringing nourishing local fruits and veggies to your door! Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a kitchen newbie, incorporating local fruits and veggies into your diet is a surefire way to improve your food mojo. We hear every day from customers who have transformed their diets one bite at a time using our Local Box. Here are 13 ways the local bounty can improve your eating, and improve your life in 2013!
- Taste the rainbow. Having lots of different colors in your meals means you’re getting lots of different nutrients that your body needs! The Local Box offers an ever-changing rainbow of produce, so you can eat more colors without a lot of effort.
- Pump up your hydration. Drinking water through out the day will not only keep your body functioning normally but can also help control your appetite. An easy way to make your water more interesting is to add a few slices of local citrus or cucumber to your glass.
- Fuel your morning. Whole grains, protein and healthy fats can all give you the energy you need to start your day! Challenge yourself to include a few bites of green in your morning meals– adding minced broccoli to your scrambled eggs is a tasty way to start!
- Get crunchy! Skip the chips and nibble on sliced raw beets, turnips, carrots, and radishes with your favorite dips. These crunchy vegetables are abundant in the Local Box, especially in the winter.
- Opt for organic. No one wants to eat food covered in poison, which is exactly the risk with conventional food. Everything that Greenling sells–including the Local Box– is grown using sustainable or organic methods, so you don’t have to worry about feeding toxins to your family.
- Forget fast food. We live in a fast world, and sometimes we need food fast – but that doesn’t mean fast food. The recipes that are included with the Local Box mean you spend less time meal-planning, more time enjoying food with your family.
- Meet your farmer. Our farmer heroes pour their hearts into their work, and that love comes right through the Local Box. When you’re tempted to cheat on your resolution to eat healthy, read their stories to renew your commitment to local food.
- Get juicy in the sky. If you’ve got a juicer, you are one of the luckiest people in the world. That thing is your ticket to health, and it makes it so easy to squeeze in the veggies! The Local Box is full of organic produce perfect for juicing– those leafy greens are begging to become a green juice for breakfast.
- Smoothify your greens. No juicer? No problem! Toss some greens into a big fruit smoothie instead. This is a tasty way to use up all the greens that are in season now.
- Double your recipes. The portions of vegetables in the Local Box are often quite large– enough to make a double batch of your favorite recipes. Save the extras from your next meal and portion them out for easy, healthy lunches the next day.
- Stock the freezer. Who needs store-bought canned vegetables when you can have the real thing? Flash freezing is a quick, easy way to preserve the fresh veg in your Local Box so that none of it goes to waste. Plus it tastes WAY better than the commercially packaged stuff. From beans to zucchini, here’s a guide to freezing fresh foods to enjoy later.
- Try something new. Did you know that trying new things actually improves your brain function? The Local Box offers a much wider variety of produce than the typical grocery store, making it a cinch to try new foods frequently.
- It takes a village. Stumped by a new veggie? Looking for a perfect turnip recipe? Connect with the thousands of other Greenling customers who are part of the local food movement in North Texas, through our blog, Facebook page, or on Twitter. There’s a whole community of great people who are eating local and healthy– just like you!
Greenling is an online grocery store specializing in home delivery of local and certified-organic food. We buy directly from the same local, sustainable farmers you’d see at the farmer’s market, and we also offer a full grocery store selection of local and certified organic goods. Along with fresh produce, you can order dairy, grass-fed meats, dry goods and more- and they’ll be delivered to your doorstep for FREE!